Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Kat Zhang Takes the Dare!


Today we are so very excited to have YA author Kat Zhang on our blog for a guest post! First off, here's the official blurb for her debut novel, WHAT'S LEFT OF ME (HarperCollins, September 18th, 2012) That's today! Happy book birthday, Kat!!!

Eva and Addie started out the same way as everyone else—two souls woven together in one body, taking turns controlling their movements as they learned how to walk, how to sing, how to dance. But as they grew, so did the worried whispers. Why aren’t they settling? Why isn’t one of them fading? The doctors ran tests, the neighbors shied away, and their parents begged for more time. Finally Addie was pronounced healthy and Eva was declared gone. Except, she wasn’t…

For the past three years, Eva has clung to the remnants of her life. Only Addie knows she’s still there, trapped inside their body. Then one day, they discover there may be a way for Eva to move again. The risks are unimaginable–hybrids are considered a threat to society, so if they are caught, Addie and Eva will be locked away with the others. And yet…for a chance to smile, to twirl, to speak, Eva will do anything.


Not only does WHAT'S LEFT OF ME sound absolutely amazing, Kat herself is pretty awesome, too. AND fearless enough to tackle this dare from our own Erin Bowman: Because Addie and Eva share a body, WHAT'S LEFT OF ME uses some unique dialog treatments to illustrate conversations between the two girls. We dare you to document a conversation between you and your Muse in the WLoM-style and share it on Thirteeners. 

Go, Kat!

A Skype Conversation Between Kat and Her Muse

Ring…
Ring…
Ring…

*click*

KAT: Hello? Hello? You there?

KAT: Helllloooo??

MUSE: *yawn*

KAT: Woah, why’s it all dark over there?

MUSE: It’s late over here. Bedtime in Muse-land.

KAT: Oh. Wow. I never knew we were on different time zones. 

KAT: That explains a lot, actually.

MUSE: Well now you know!!

KAT: Hope I didn’t wake you. Anyway, I wanted to talk to you about something. There are these reviews I’ve been getting…

MUSE: Yeah?

KAT: And, well, some of them seem to indicate that there are people out there who didn’t like my book. What’s up with that?

MUSE: You realize I’m a muse and not a therapist, right?

KAT: But I can’t afford a therapist.

MUSE: That’s what those poor people you call your friends are for.

KAT: Touché, Muse. Touché.

MUSE: Anyway, suck it up. There’s my advice. How about you get on that Book 2 instead of whining?

KAT: Well, actually, I was going to bring up Book 2. I’ve been so stuck on some scenes, and, while I’d really hate to say this, I don’t think you’re keeping up with your half of the deal.

MUSE: What deal?

KAT: You know, the one where you...feed me story ideas, and I...well, use them.

MUSE: That sounds like a terrible deal for me.

KAT: Well, I mean, it’s kinda your job, right? Like, your life purpose? To help writers?

MUSE: See, this sense of entitlement is where you’re running into problems.

KAT: I—I’m sorry.

MUSE: I’m doing my best here. See? I’ve got this plot board going on and everything.

KAT: I, uh, I really appreciate that.

MUSE: Good. Was that too hard to say? All I ever wanted was some kindness! Some appreciation! Maybe a day named in my honor?

KAT: Yeah, I’ll...get on that.

MUSE: You just get back to that writing. I’ll figure out these plot holes. 

MUSE: Eventually.

KAT: Great! Thank you so much! Bye, then!

MUSE: Bye!

*click*

MUSE: Man, finally, she’s gone.

*ding!*

MUSE: Oooh, is that the pizza guy?
~~~

OUTTAKES

MUSE: Hey, do you think I could dress up as that girl from The Ring for Halloween?

MUSE: ...How about now?

SEVEN DAYSSS



Kat Zhang is an avid traveler, and after a childhood spent living in one book after another, she now builds stories for other people to visit. An English major at Vanderbilt University, she spends her free time performing Spoken Word poetry, raiding local bookstores, and plotting where to travel next. What’s Left of Me–about a girl with two souls–is her first novel and will be released by HarperCollins on 9/18/2012. She is represented by Emmanuelle Morgen of Stonesong. You can read about her travels, literary and otherwise, on her website or check her out on Twitter.


Thank you so much for playing with the Thirteeners, Kat! Up next is Jenn, so send her a Truth or Dare here!

11 comments:

  1. Ahaha, you're so cute, Kat! Awesome and hilarious conversation there, and Erin, that was pretty genius of you, thinking up that dare. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kat, you are so creative and funny! Thank you so much for playing with us. And your muse brings back terrifying memories of that Ring girl (or was it The Grudge?)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kat, this was awesome. (And for the record, I'm pretty sure all muses are off eating pizza half the time we writers are crying and staring hopelessly at our mss. The jerks. ;) )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh man you are too cute - except as that Ring girl. That frightened me...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha..this is adorable. I'm thoroughly impressed you got your muse to talk to you. Mine's been giving me the silent treatment. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kat, I love your expressive face.

    My muse is always getting jacked on snobby locally-roasted espresso--she bounces around for hours and refuses to sit still and work. I really hate it when she does that.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha, love it. And yes. You could totally dress up as The Ring girl for Halloween...as long as you stay away from me. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. So fun. Our muses would get along well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Loved this, Kat. Ooh, I didn't know you went to Vandy! I went to a Dave Matthews concert there a couple of years ago.
    Congrats on your debut release! Can't wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG that was awesome, Kat. You are fabulous. Congrats on the release on your book today! :D

    ReplyDelete